Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Because I love you...

June 7, 2011

Dear Brooke and Tanner,

With the recent passing of your sweet Aunt Wendy, not a day goes by where I don't look at you and kiss you without thinking how grateful I am to be with you and to be your mother. You both are so sweet and dear to me and I love you both more and more every time I look at you. I am so blessed the Lord sent me you two and trust me enough to be your mother. I want you to know that even at times that my patience is wearing thin, or times where I have to scold you, I love you.

You are such dear and precious children of God. Always remember how valued and cherished you are by Him. Remember He will always be there for you when I'm not around. Your father and I admire you and even though He sent you to us and we are to teach you right from wrong, you still teach us more than we ever though we could know. Your Grandpa Lee had a quote that read something like "You never know love, until you love a child" or "A child fills a hole in your heart, you never knew was there". That is truly how I feel. I was so nervous I wasn't going to be able to make more room to love when Tanner was born, but sure enough it amazed me how much my love just multiplied and filled yet another "hole" in my heart.

Tanner, I love you. I love your grin and giggles. Even though you can't talk, you know how to light up a room with the right looks. You make my heart warm when I look at you. I love your tender soul. At times it comes across to those around like a "wanny" as we called it, but I know deep inside, you're just like your Dad, tender and soft-hearted. Never let anyone change that about you.

Brooke, I love you. I love your intelligence and your sweet demeanor. You care for others around you, without judging them. You see the good in everyone. Thank you for teaching me that. Stay true to yourself and never let anyone change the way you have a love for others.

I just wanted to write this letter to you now, as you are my sweet young innocent children. That we may look back together and reminisce. Your Aunt Wendy is such an example to me and is still teaching me many things on how to become a better wife, woman, friend, daughter, sister and mostly, Mother. I want you to know I love her. I am so grateful for her example.

Brooke and Tanner, I love you. I love being your mother. Remember I will always be here for you and will love you unconditionally. Thank you for coming to our home and letting me have the chance to raise you and be your Mother.

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

Nattles said...

That's such a great idea; writing a letter to your kids! So tender!

Nate and Ellen said...

Well said Heather!!! You are a great Mom! They are both lucky to have you!!!

anoyce said...

What a great thing to be able to express such tender feelings. I didn't even know Wendy personally, but have been so touched by her life. I have changed my perception of life and have tried to express more love everyday to my children. It has been interesting to see how my journal writing has changed too - where before I would complain about so much, and now I just want to express my gratitude all the time. Wendy really has helped me to change my life.