Thursday, March 10, 2011

Valentines 2011!

We had quite the fun Valentine's this year! It was a family event rather than us as a couple.

It started out with heart shaped pancakes. (Although Daddy didn't get to join us because of work). Brookie really liked hers. She takes after her Grandma Sugar in that she likes Vanilla Yogurt on them rather than syrup (which I'm quite okay with, since it only requires a wipe down and not a bath after! Plus, it's the healthier thing right?)
We were going to drive up to Dan's work and have a picnic lunch with him (we even cancelled Brooke's Monday play date with Lucy for it!). Alas, Tanner's nap went longer than expected and literally as we were loading in the car, he called and canceled on us. Brookie and I were both quite bummed. So we decided to crash my parent's lunch. They treated us to Pei Wei, my absolute favorite place to go out to (besides Mongolian BBQ). We had fun and were able to turn our frowns upside down.
Brooke got cho mein for the first time and even had chop sticks! She did great, but ended up sticking with her favorite, edamames.

Tanner just hung with Mom and was relentless in trying to grab Mommy's fork and make the rice fly.
Grandma and Grandpa

Uncle Collin wasn't to happy about being the "5th wheel" even though Dan wasnt there (we constantly get comments about us being married and "our" kids are so cute... yeah we're siblings, thanks. Anyways, he didn't want to smile for the picture, so we told Brookie to look and she smiled anyways. It's kinda funny....
We decided to a fancy dinner as a family. We even got Mom's china out. It was quite fun. I helped make all the decorations hanging.
We decided to make a heart shaped calzone for dinner. One of our favorite meals!
Brookie with her "Valentine's loot". We give books for Valentines day and I got her one of my favorite books when I was young "Love You Forever". I thought it was rather appropriate! ;)
The family all waiting for dinner with all our loots!

We had a rather late dinner that night, so unfortunately Tanner was already in bed for the night, so he didnt get to be in our family picture...
Grandma GG came over and gave us our presents too. We all got yummy chocolate truffle bars and Brooke got a darling shirt that said "Love Bug" on it.
I recently got a cookbook "Cake Pops" and decided to venture into making the heart ones. They turned out SOOO good and so cute. I made 2 different types yellow cake and red velvet. They are easy to do, just very time consuming. Especially when you do 2 different whole cakes. The cakes easily made over 100 pops. I ran out of sticks and ended up with just some cake hearts.
Brookie especially loved them. We obviously had them for several days (even after delivering several to friends) and she just kept asking for "cake suckers". I highly recommend them, but only if you have patience and time! ;)

Dan and I were lucky to get to go on a double date with Dan's cousin and his wife (my sister from another mister ;) the following weekend to celebrate Valentines. We had so much fun laughing and playing downtown and actually feeling like real adults! We went to Mongolian BBQ (my favorite downtown Denver restaurant), then walked around to get our favorite "Apple Pie" caramel apples at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and then went and saw a movie. We got out of the movie around 10:30/11 and we ended up staying on the 16th street mall til like midnight talking and laughing our hearts out. We love them. We even decided to make our date night a monthly tradition! YEAH! Next time though, we're going cheap and not the big blowout like we had. Have any ideas for a cheap/creative dates you've done? Anyways, all in all Valentines Day was a hit!

Hope your Valentines Day was great!

1 comment:

Familly said...

Looks like fun! Those cake pops are so cute! I am going to have to try those!